Tuesday, August 25, 2009

My Thoughts on Woodstock 1969


Woodstock 1969, I wasn’t there. In fact, I wasn’t born either; my mom had to of only been 9 maybe 10 years old. I reflect on Woodstock only on what I read in text books, internet and what I have heard about that eventful 3 days in history now 40 years ago. I remember before I dedicated my life to God when I was 14, watching hours of MTV and hearing about Woodstock. To me at the time it was a grand and amazing event, a one of a kind that I hope I could see repeated and I could attend. Now at age 25, I dread to see a similar event come together. In fact, I fear for it. Woodstock to be honest was to me now a nasty, insane, ungodly and devilish event and I refuse to give it any glory.


Before I go, I want to say a few things. First of all, this blog is an open blog, meaning I leave it so general public can read it. In fact, many people find my blog by googling different things that I have talked about on my blog. Second, I wasn’t there at Woodstock, the info I have gathered here is what I have read in newspaper articles, encyclopedia, firsthand accounts and many other resources. Third and most important, I’m just stating my opinion on the fact. I realize that people without my same belief may stumble upon this blog and may not agree with what I say. Just remember one thing about Woodstock often portrayed, “Show me some Love and Peace man!”


Aug. 15th – 17th, 1969, three nights and days straight of simply music and peace, more than 400,000 people came to a 600 acre dairy farm in Bethel, NY. The event was Woodstock, lined up on the stage were many famous rock artists of the day, Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix and the Jefferson Airplane to name a few. Thousand more would have come if police had not blocked off access roads, and for miles stalled cars could be seen. It is estimated as many as one million youth might have shown had police allowed access or if the show had gone on longer. The vast majority of those that participated in this event; where between the ages of 16 to 30. Many proudly share their stories of telling parents and bosses wild stories and excuse in order to go this event.


So you might think what so bad about nearly half million getting together to enjoy some music? It what happen there that makes me sick and disgusted at such an event. First of one of the main ones comes to mind, narcotics. At least 90% of those present were smoking marijuana. For those who think marijuana is not a “bad” drug because it’s often consider a “better” drug then cigarettes, cocaine or other narcotics. According to ACDE.org (American Council for Drug Education’s) here are the Dangers of Marijuana: Impaired perception; Diminished short-term memory; Loss of concentration and coordination; Impaired judgment; Increased risk of accidents; Loss of motivation; Diminished inhibitions; Increased heart rate; Anxiety, panic attacks, and paranoia; Hallucinations; Damage to the respiratory, reproductive, and immune systems; Increased risk of cancer; and Psychological dependency. Statistics also show that 60% of youngsters who use marijuana before they turn 15 later go on to use cocaine.

At Woodstock, marijuana was not the only drug easily found, in fact every narcotic of any and all description could be found, hash, acid, speed, horse and cocaine. Many youth were freaked out on bad trips caused by low-grade LSD which had been openly peddled at $6 per capsule. Only one person died from an overdose of heroin, which was amazing miracle, but how many others were messed up for life? How many other became addicts because of this event. In fact in recent times, it is said that Baby Boomers of that era of time haven’t given up something from the 60’s, the getting high on illicit drugs. Why didn’t the police do anything about this openly use of narcotics? It was said that police made less then 100 arrests on narcotics charges, perhaps out of fear of rousing the crowd to hostility.

Drugs weren’t the only thing that ran wild at Woodstock but morality flew out the window. People openly had casual sex, often with people they just met or after being tripped out on drugs and alcohol woke up next to someone they had never known. Skinny dipping in a near by lake was common. Even though the event was prime place for chaos and riots because of poor conditions; piles of garbage, inadequate sanitation, the lack of good and 2 nights of rain that turn Woodstock into a sea of mud. Yet, no rapes, no assaults, no robberies or a single fight broke out among the crowd and that something to be proud of??? Though told by first hand accounts and not mentioned in textbooks, “Food For Love” Food stand after running out of food and overcharging was burned to the ground during the event. Plus, a total of 2 deaths, 5 miscarriages and 2 births happen at the event; the second death was cause by carelessness of riding a tractor over a man who was either asleep or passed out under the tractor.

What really burns me up about Woodstock is the rebellion. Youth, now 40 years later tell proudly tell their rebellious stories of how they snuck out their parent’s home, told wild stories, lies to employees and ditching so they could participate in this “great” event! It was also said that one Judge was punched in the face by a man who had been arrested at the event. Hippies were known for being rebelliousness, even if they did it “peacefully” rebellion against the law. Hippies would often burn draft cards because they didn’t agree with the war.

What really had me in a tizzy was a comment made in article from Time Magazine in 1969, “Youth has always been rebellious.” I must disagree with this statement, I have seen a generation of Apostolic youth of my age that are not rebellious but are following in the old paths and obeying the law, parents, authority and above all God and His Word. The article goes on to say that the particle group of young people were different not rebellious. One U.S. sociolologist said, “They are not mimicking something done in its purest form by adults. They are doing their own thing.” (Judges 21:25 come to mind, “…every man did that which was right in his own eyes.”) “All this shows that there is a breakdown in the capacity of adult leaders to capture the young.” Some others observers agree that the youth movement is group of people with out leadership. Janis Joplin, one of the famous musicians at event insists otherwise, “We don’t need a leader, we have each other. All we need it to keep our heads straight,” (How can they when they are so high on drugs) “And in ten years this country maybe a decent place to live in.” I can say that now 40 years later this place is not much better of a place to live in.

Woodstock is held in high regard; yes I won’t deny that against the odds Woodstock could have been worst. Riots, overdoses, and even deaths, it was considered a “Peaceful event” yet how many found or came home with true peace? Oh yes, they helped each other out, A New Mexico Hippie commune who took care of kids on bad trips, people helping each other pull cars out of ditches and mud and even though the farm was a disaster it only took 5 days to clean up. Yet, the bad out ways the good by far, I could go on an on about lots more on Woodstock, but I would like to conclude by another statement. Researching Woodstock, I stumbled upon an article but it wasn’t the article that caught my attention it was the first comment written below the story. Bruce from Jordan, MN received multiple thump downs on his comment; I wish I could have given many thumps up. Bruce sums up my whole blog in one paragraph:

“It's darkly comical that a people can continue to congratulate themselves over the years for being a part of an event that has been described as a" peaceful and loving". Should we be proud of the fact that over the course of 4 days, and with a group of approx 500, 000 people there was little violence? Maybe we should high five the fact that no one was killed. This is the standard we've set? Well, yes, this is the standard we have set. What about the drug taking, drinking, and indiscriminate sexual encounters, what about the shake your fist in God's face attitude of the whole event? I contend there was a great deal of violence...in the form of a massive rebellion against God's laws and His Goodness, and His Mercy on a sinful and thankless people. People "worshiping the creature and not the creator". The pride people have in this event is a Holy stink in God's nostrils.”

Thank you Bruce! Thumbs Up X 1000

Jacqueline

Resources:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very good, sis., very good. Well done. Douglas Collins