Thursday, August 18, 2011

Judge Not



The doors had barely swung open to the court room when he had already heard the judgment called. “GUILTY!” shouted the Judge as he slammed down the gravel, “Guilty, Guilty, GUILTY!” He was taken back as he staggered in. He had not even had a fair chance; He didn’t even get a chance to plea his case. He looked over at the jury box, would they be so quick with their verdict. Twelve angry men stared back at him. He began to fight back tears as he tried to stutter out a plea but kept getting cut off. He just need one face to look at him that was not judgmental. One face that would just listen, they did not know his story, they did not know the who, what, where or why of the situation. They had stamped a”Guilty” sign on him long before he had arrived.


“Any last words before we read your sentence?” The Judge said with a sneer. He took a deep breath, straighten his back, he would tell them the truth. He will give himself a fair chance, but as he looked up, he stood in shock. He could not speak, only a gasp could be heard. For when he looked at the Judge’s face, it was his own that he saw. He looked over at the Jury box, and saw twelve of him staring back.


That when it hit him, the words of Jesus in Matthew 7:1-2, “Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.” How easily he had judge others, how he disapproved or assumed before ever giving a chance. Now he was being judged the same, he would be found guilty without a case.
________________________________


I remember memorizing this scripture in my PACEs during High School. Judge Not! Oh wish, I could of preach that to other people. I was so often stereotyped, assumed I was something I was not and it frustrated me. I hated when I was judge, but it was overtime that I realize I did the same. I jump to conclusions, judge others quickly and harshly. How can I not be expected to not to be judge if I went on judging others?


How easily it is to judge others, they say first impression are the most important. For example, you find out you will be traveling this summer and will be able to go to a youth camp in a far away state you never been before. There will be new youth groups, new people that you have never met. You stand to the side as you see people come. One youth group is dress in fancier/stylish clothes; you stamp them as “Snobs!” Another youth group comes in, they are smaller group and stick close together, you think they are “Shy Ones”. Then another youth group seems to tumble out of the bus and come noisily into the foyer, they must be the “Wild Crowd” you will stay clear of them.


This could go on all day and before you realize it. You sit alone and meet no one and don’t have a fun time. If you didn’t judge first, you might of found out that the “Snobs” even though they wear nicer clothes are actually quite friendly. The “Shy Ones” stick together because they are simple used to each other but can gather a crowd entertaining each others with their crazy antics. The “Wild Crowd” though hyper is a perfect example of the “Zeal of the Lord”, solid in their love of God and full of his joy.
______________________________


It just not first impressions but other things in our life, others actions, decisions and so many other things. In a world that easily judges everything people do, we need to be the face that does not show judgment. God’s mercy see past the mistakes, the decisions, the actions even the clothes to see the truth. We as Christians are required to not judge. We must look with eyes of mercy and not a look of judgment!


One day a friend came to me seeking my advice, they wanted my opinion. After our conversation, they turned to me and said, “You know I can always count on you, you might not know what to say or do. But when I come to you, I know that no matter what that you aren’t going to judge me.” I’d have to say, that a pretty high compliment! But for me it has something I always had to work on, to not judge. In fact, when I find myself doing it, I simple quote Matthew 7:1 “Judge not, that ye be not judged.” If I forget I can always feel the Holy Ghost nudging me, and simply saying, “JUDGE NOT!”



As Always,


Jacqueline

2 comments:

Mary Frances said...

That was good Jac!!! I liked it!!! :))))

Cherylg said...

That was portraying the judgemental attitude very well. WE SO NEED to be CAREFUL not to judge people before we even know the whole situation and the person and even then God knows heart and the depth of the of that person, not us. We just need pray to that God will help us see other's as he see's them.

Thank you for this post.

Blessings,

Sis' C