Wednesday, December 16, 2009

MASH!

Do you remember M.A.S.H!? The game that most girls played when they were a tweens and teenager that game that would decide your future? Oh yes, you would put down names of guys that you were “In Love” with or would one day like to marry. You would pick your future cars, how many kids, your future jobs. Then if you really want you would put your wedding colors, what month you would be married, where you would live, what your husband’s occupancy would be and before you knew it you would have a huge list. Then your friend would make a swirl or lines till you tell them to stop this deciding the number. Slowly you would count off. You either sigh a bit of relief when certain things would be marked off or saddened as your “One True Love” was marked off! When all is said and done your future would be decided for you. With either great delight or fear and prayers it won’t come true.


I remember how much fun it was as a teen to play MASH! I believe it was my best friend Mary who first taught me this game. Hours we would play until our perfect future was finally laid before us. We played it anywhere and anytime, Mary even scrapbooked one of her MASH games that had been written on a paper napkin. Sleepovers, trips and especially if we had a new crush for the week! We added fun to the game by having the one pick the first 3 and friends picking the fourth choice, which usually was answered by groans! With my teen years behind me and being in my mid 20’s now, MASH isn’t the same. The last time I had played it, had to be about 2 years ago and to be honest it wasn’t as cool anymore.


“Sister, do you know how to play SMASH?” The cute little 10 year old girl asked me, pointing to the chalkboard. I was an assistant teacher for the Kid’s praise class at the local bible college. Several of her friends where making some type of grid on the board. Taking a closer look, I finally understood what these young girls were trying to play.


“Do you mean MASH?” I replied, she nodded her head and I smiled. I grabbed my notebook and began writing out one of the simpler version of MASH. Before I knew it, I was in circled by several little tweens girls who eagerly looked on to see their future laid out before them. I laughed and giggled and even anguished with the group as we played. I knew several of the boys they hoped to marry from being a counselor at Jr. Camp. I nearly laugh till tears came out as I hear what they hope to grow up to be. One girl told me with glowing eyes she wanted to work for a fancy hotel, when I told her I worked at a fancy hotel she was in awe! I laughed at their choices in cars, how many kids (3 million was one girls choice LOL) and how the described their dream homes.


“Sister, it’s your turn, it’s your turn!” The girls look eagerly at me to see my future through MASH.

“Ok fine, but I’m going to make you girls choice everything!” I replied. I was giggling so hard as they decided my future job, car and how many kids I would have, but when they picked out the guys my side hurt from laughing. First, I had to tell them they have to be older close to my age. I only got blank stares as they told me that they knew no one that old. Their first choices were boys about 12 to 14 years old, I made them re-decided and finally we got to about age 18 and 19 years old which I figure was as good as I could get from these 10 and 11 year olds!


After doing the swirl and finding my number out, I began the countdown. I must say this was the first time in many years that I nearly held my breath as my future was decided. We laughed and anguished over each items were either left or scratch off. When it was all done, I laughed, the mother of the boy that was to be my “future” husband was sitting there. We laughed together as the girls teased and taunted me about my life. I must admit it wasn’t half bad or maybe kinda bad LOL, I had a good job as a nurse, a lovely shack, 3 kids and own a red little wagon, well except the boy I was to marry! LOL

When I walked out of class, the girls even though I told them not to tell had already told half the people standing around about my future life according to MASH! I had to laugh, but it was kinda cool to play MASH one more time like when I was a teenager! Giggling, anguishing, hoping and laughing, I know MASH will not decide my future I do think it’s kinda fun still!!!


Jacqueline

PS. Yeap and I did include the game! LOL The boy's names being removed! LOL

No comments: