Thursday, January 22, 2009

An Old Fashion Testimony Service

*This is what I call a story song; it is a story that is created that incorporates a song. The story may sound good on paper but it mostly meant to be told. The lines in Italics Bold are simply meant to be sung. The goal is draw the audience into the story and then incorporating a very familiar song. The story is then ended in a song, to allow the congregation to get involved in worshipping the Lord. I don’t know if anyone else has ever done this or what the real what it called. But I found I enjoy this style of putting together, music, story telling and writing all wrapped into one for the praise and worship of my Lord Jesus Christ. Please comment I would like to know what you think. JSC*



An Old Fashion Testimony Service



It was the first day of the week on a very warm day in Jerusalem, the saints had gathered together for a special service. A well known preacher was in town and so the church was packed. But even with all the excitement the service was quite dry. Many people complained about the heat and fan themselves, babies cried because they were hot and it seems the energy from the youth had been zapped out of them because of the warmth. The poor worship leader tried with all his might to encourage the church to worship but to no avail. That when the idea struck him, what they needed was a reminder of God’s goodness, they needed a testimony service. “Before we ask our special speaker to come up,” he said, “could I get a few testimonies?”

Sitting only a few rows back a woman stood, her garments were of rich color and she arose with much grace and elegancy. “I would like to testify and tell a story that has been told to me many times even though it happened to me.” The worship leader waved to have her continue. “Many of you know I was the daughter of a ruler in the Synagogue name Jairus, I was his only child and my father loved me very much. I was quite spoiled by him to be honest.” This made many in the congregation chuckle and even she had to smile before going on.

“My father would have given me the world if I had only asked. I had the finest clothes, education and food. So when I became sick at the age of 12, I had the best doctors in the land attending to me. Yet, to no avail I became worst and my father became desperate. He had heard of a man who was healing those who were sick. So my father decided that he must go to him at once.

“My father rushed to were the man name Jesus was at and he pushed his way through the crowd. And pleaded to him to come to our house so they proceeded back home. During this I am told that that Jesus became distracted with a woman, who also wanted to be healed. A servant from our house found my father and told him some disturbing news, I had died. My father not wanting disturbed the master any further was about to just go on when Jesus spoke the words. ‘Be not afraid, only believe’. Jesus, my father and many other continued on to the house. It is told that the mourners mocked Jesus when he said that I was only asleep.

“The next moments were very distinct in my life, the last I had remembered was being so sick then going into darkness, the next I remember hearing a voice that was like a light into the darkness. A voice that is very familiar but one I had never really heard before, saying ‘Damsel, I say unto thee, arise.’ Jesus then took my hand and pulled me up. I was dead and gone, “she stopped and then simple ended with a smile, “He healed my body.”

Then an older very husky and tall man that sat in the back arose wanting to also testify stood to his feet. Many of the kids called him Grandpa Bear because he was large, strong and hairy but yet very sweet. He would tell stories to them and tease and play with them. Yet, when he stood they knew the story that he was about to share, it was the one that made the kids cling to their dads and hide behind their mom’s skirts.

The man stood and began to speak in his big booming voice. “Legion, their name was Legion because they were so many. I was possessed with so many devils, and night and day I would roam in the mountains and in the tombs. I would cry and cut myself with stones.” He stopped and pulled up his sleeves to his elbows revealing ugly scars. “I was mad, crazy and not safe. Men tried to bind me with chains on my arms and legs but I would break them loose. I was known through out the land and men were scared of me.

“Then the day came when a man came by boat to where I lived, I felt drawn to the man and I began to worship Him. The devil within me trembled and begged Jesus not to torment them. Then I heard him say those precious words, ‘Come out of the man, thou unclean spirit!’ They immediately left me and went into a herd of swine, which is told that went wildly into the sea and drowned.

“The people in that city had seen what happen when they came they were astonished at me. For there I was sitting clothed and in my right mind, I thought before that they were scared but when they saw me they were very afraid. They asked Jesus to depart from the city. I asked if I could go with him but Jesus told me, ‘Go home to thy friends, and tell them how great things the Lord hath done for thee, and hath had compassion on thee.’ I would have loved to follow Jesus but he asked me instead to share my story. You may get tired of hearing my testimony but I will continue on sharing it till the day I die.” The large man with tears in his eyes stop and said, “He touched my mind.”

Before another person could testify the special speaker tapped the shoulder of the worship leader. “I would like to testify at this time.” The worship leader step back and allowed the minister speak. “I was a murder and I thought I was doing it all for the Lord. I thought Christians were going against the Holy Scripture. I thought I could force the law on the people. I had permission to rid Damascus of these people that I despised.”

The minister paused and took a deep breath then continued, “On the road to Damascus I was struck down by a bright light and a voice from the heavens and said, ‘Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me?’ I cried out saying, ‘Who art thou Lord?’ and the Lord replied, ‘I am Jesus whom thou persecutest’ he told me to go into the city and it would be told what I should do. When I arose I was blind, and I had to be led by the hand into the city. And for three days I did not eat or drink.

“There was a godly man in the city that had a vision from the Lord, a man name Ananias. He was told to find me and when he came into the house where I was and laid his hands on me praying that I would receive my sight and the Holy Ghost. I receive the Holy Ghost and my eyes were opened in many ways. The road hasn’t always been easy but the road I was on was leading to destruction.” Then Paul who used to be called Saul stopped and said, “He saved me just in time.”

The worship leader stood and approached the front; he had a song on his heart that seemed right for the moment. The musicians started to play the song and the church rose their feet. The heat didn’t seem so unbearable now. As song started the first line made them think…



“Look What the Lord Hath Done…”




As they looked around they started remembering the story behind many of the saints that sat among them. There was Blind Barnabas who even in his old age still had incredible sight. Then there was the Amen Corner with all the older ladies of the church sat. These women had many different encounters with the Jesus too. There was the Woman who was at the well, and the good friend of Jairus’ daughter, the woman who had the issue of blood for 12 years. There was Mary Magdalene and Martha, her sister. There were men who once had Leprosy but Jesus touched them and healed them! A man who even though he was older would leap for joy because once he was lame and could not walk. There was those that sat on the hillside listening to Jesus and were feed spiritually and physically.



“Look What the Lord Hath Done…”



Well now those around Jairus’ little girl who walk with the grace and dignity of any queen, had to move out of her way. Because when she started elbowing for more room you had to watch out because she could cut a rug like no other. In her soprano voice you could hear her say…



“He Healed My Body…”



Grandpa Bear claps could be clearly heard through out the church and he would sing loudly his favorite part…



“He Touched My Mind…”



Even the ministers were getting with it. Shouting all over the platform and Paul wouldn’t be out done by those younger then him…



"He Saved Me Just In Time…”



The service was no longer dry; the Spirit of God filled the house like no other as the church shout and praised the Lord.



“Each Day He Just the Same…”



If God has not changed, and if we begin to look around and see what the Lord hath done then we might also be reminded of the miracles in our lives and others.



“I’m Going to Praise Him…”



I’m going to are you going too?



“Come Help Me Praise Him…”



Maybe you should ask your neighbor to help you.



“Look What the Lord Hath Done”



So why don’t your Look and See what the Lord Hath Done.



“Look What the Lord Hath Done
Look What the Lord Hath Done
He Healed My Body
He Touched My Mind
He Saved Me Just In Time
I’m Going to Praise Him
Come Help Me Praise Him
Look What the Lord Hath Done”


4 comments:

Mary Frances said...

Aw turned out cool!!! You had time to write that AT WORK!?!?! LOL You as bad as me!!!!!! HA!

Anonymous said...

Jacqui! This is amazingly anointed... I'm not used to crying on stories but I'm telling you the tears sprang to my eyes and I could feel the Holy Ghost in this. God bless, keep it up and I love you!
Charity

Jacqueline Suzanne said...

Thanks Mary! I hope to add a few more like it. Yes, I type at work it the silly phone calls that interupt me. My, it like 'excuse me I'm writing right now' oh well

Thanks Charity! I pray that it will be anointed it if I ever do it for a church service.

Angela Marie said...

I loved it!