Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Thanksgiving Dinner

It was thanksgiving day and the feast was spread out. The turkey was the finest meat that could be bought, flavored to perfection, juicy and tender and sliced by a pro. The stuffing was made from scratch, and so was the cranberry sauce with fresh berries. The vegetables were fresh and were cooked just enough to make them have a crunch. The salad was made with the best and freshest vegetables, thinly sliced cucumbers, shredded carrots, purple cabbage pieces, homemade crotons, topped off with small cherry tomatoes. The deserts were a works of art. Pumpkin pies made from fresh pumpkins and seasoned with nutmeg and ginger, and perfect spirals of whip cream swirled on top. Berry pies were made from fresh berries and had perfect homemade crust. Some of the best chefs in the area had special prepared the meal and did not hold back on any of their talent for the special occasion.

They even redid the dinning room for thanksgiving. No plastic tablecloths, instead white clean cloth ones and beautiful arrangements were on display. The normal plastic plates and paper cups were replaced with fine china and glasses. Everyone had gone way out to make thanksgiving meal perfect. Than why did I and my co-workers sit picking at our tasty meals and lost in thought?

It had to be one of the finest thanksgiving meals I had ever tasted. Yet I overheard the cafeteria workers say that so much food was wasted that day. Not even the big hardy working guys went back for seconds, let alone finish eating what was on their plate. The usual conversation was quite, and even small talk was hardly heard. Why? Our thoughts were at home. The meal at home probable was not the finest meal. The turkey was what was on sale, and possible over cooked making it a tiny bit dry. The stuffing was Stovetops and 90% chance it was chicken flavored. Canned vegetables, and bagged salad was probable how the veggies were made that year. The cranberry sauce was “freshly” taken from the can and still holds the shape of it’s former home. Pumpkin pies may had come out a little deformed but were quickly covered by the store bought whip cream. The berry pie was Maria Calendar’s famous frozen pie that had been slightly over cooked when it had been forgotten about in the oven, because someone was telling a story of a thanksgiving from years ago.

No, the fine china was not used due to the amount of people, instead thick paper plates and red plastic cups. Not enough tables and chairs were available and so some of the kids ate on the floor with plates in their laps. People eat till they were overflowing and still went back for more. Laughter and talk was ringing through out the house. Clean up had everyone participating and hardly any food was thrown out.

So what was the difference between these meals? Simple, no it wasn’t the food or fine way everything was displayed. In the first dinner, it made me realize how important family is to me. I spent that thanksgiving at work and nearly cried the whole time on my lunch break and I wasn’t the only one that day. So what am I thankful for this year? No not a fine dinner, to me it wouldn’t matter if we ate cold pizza, yet if I could spend it in the company of family and friends, I found I can have thanksgiving dinner all year long. So this year I’m thankful for well you guessed it, my family and friends.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Jacqueline

6 comments:

Mary Frances said...

Today was FUN at church!!!

Mary Frances said...

Jacqui I LOVE you!!! BFF!!!

Mary Frances said...

Heeey!!! How dare you ACTUALLY work while you are at work!!! LOL
P.S. REALLY, I do luv ya!!!! :)

Mary Frances said...

By the way...I BOUGHT your soda from Wal-mart yesturday!!! You left it in our cart!!! LOL I was just gonna put in on the shelf but then I felt guilty and paid for it for you!!! Yes, I know, I AM WONDERFUL!!!

Jacqueline Suzanne said...

Thanks Mary for using my blog as a chatline! Anyways... You BOUGHT my soda! I had bought it out of the machine. You should of told them! You crazy chica!!!!!

Love ya girl!
Jac

Mary Frances said...

Awww MAN!!! So we both paid for it!?!?! OH brother!!! Thats what I get for being HONEST!!!! LOL Does that mean I can take one for free next time we are at Wal-mart?!?! Sure, your welcome for letting me use it for a chatline!!! You need to post something NEW!!!
Luv ya!!! ;P